Calibrating ninebot one

vido

Hey guys, 

What's the best way you guys found for calibrating your bot? Do you lean it against a wall then calibrate or hold it between your legs or something.  Interested in what you guys found best. 

I haven't done it but if I did I figured I would set the pedal mounts (that attach to the motor) on bricks so that it would be as level as possible. Assuming the bricks were on a level service.  I might even put use a level to make sure the ground is level.

I might even put use a level to make sure the ground is level.

But how do you make sure your level is level? ;) I don't think a throw of a degree or few matters that much, someone might even want to calibrate the pedals to a slightly backwards tilted zero-position...

I performed the recalibrating routine once, but I don't think it did anything.  Here's why.  

To perform a recalibration, first I must turn the device on.  At that point it begins self-balancing.  Then to recalibrate it states that you must 'lock' the device.  When you lock the device it is in a semi powered down state, but any attempt to disturb the device, say to change it's balanced position results in it vibrating and setting off the general alarm like someone is trying to steal it.  But once locked you can proceed to recalibrate.  What is missing from all of this is your ability to place the wheel in your desired neutral balance position for the recalibration, due to the anti-theft behavior.  

So I can't understand how recalibration, as implemented, is at all helpful.  I think I heard @mengke say that the factory basically says don't do that.  I don't know what recalibrate is good for.  

I performed the recalibrating routine once, but I don't think it did anything.  Here's why.  

To perform a recalibration, first I must turn the device on.  At that point it begins self-balancing.  Then to recalibrate it states that you must 'lock' the device.  When you lock the device it is in a semi powered down state, but any attempt to disturb the device, say to change it's balanced position results in it vibrating and setting of the general alarm like someone is trying to steal it.  But once locked you can proceed to recalibrate.  What is missing from all of this is your ability to place the wheel in your desired neutral balance position for the recalibration.  

So I can't understand how recalibration, as implemented, is at all helpful.  I heard Mengke say that the factory basically says don't do that.  I don't know what recalibrate is good for.  

I once calibrated where the body was tilted so far forward it was looking at the ground. So I do know for a fact it had to be on a leveled surface. Is there a way to get a factory calibration again? 

Hi, I think that Dpong did the right thing. I used my 9B1 for a few weeks and realised that it was lightly leaning forward. I recalibrated as Dpong did and everything came back in order. I suppose that, in any position, the calibration can be computed from data coming from multiple sensors (average ?).

To be sure of it, you could try to calibrate with the 9B1 in any odd position and see the result.

Because of this, you can not expect to force the 9B1 to adopt a non-standard default position (slightly leaning backward, for instance). The calibration is just there to compensate a slight drift of the default position.

These are just suppositions. The best would be to discuss that directly with Ninebot.

Hello guys.  I have the same problem as what Gil was faced with. When i lean my body forward i feel the ninebot one E+ is also leaning forward. This is conformable and i feel instability. I tried to calibrate Ninebot one E+ but it did not work. When i over speed usually the unit head should lean backward but in my case It does not. In addition, when i over speed it suddenly starts shaking uncontrollably. Any solution ? By the way i am running the latest Firmware. 

Originally my footrest had a slight forward tilt, and I didn't feel comfortable,  I would rather have a little backward tilt. I have tried to calibrate the footrest to be a little up in neutral, but it seem to only have 2 position to choose from. Even when I have tried to calibrate with a lot of forward tilt, no tilt and a lot of backward tilt it only shifts between 2 positions. 

Position 1 is slightly forward tilt,  about 3 degrees.

Position 2 is neutral/no tilt, 0 degrees. 

When I calibrate my wheels (not bots) I just open the jaws of my Workmate and slot the wheel through so that the pedals are resting on each side. It's a comfortable working height and very stable and convenient. :)

When I calibrate my wheels (not bots) I just open the jaws of my Workmate and slot the wheel through so that the pedals are resting on each side. It's a comfortable working height and very stable and convenient. :)

That sounds like how I was going to use bricks (the "slot the wheel through so that the pedals are resting on each side" part).  I don't have a Workmate.  I do have a workbench but I figured it might not be level so I would used the floor of my house to make sure I use the most level place available.

But I don't have a reason to calibrate now; I'm happy with mine.

Originally my footrest had a slight forward tilt, and I didn't feel comfortable,  I would rather have a little backward tilt. I have tried to calibrate the footrest to be a little up in neutral, but it seem to only have 2 position to choose from. Even when I have tried to calibrate with a lot of forward tilt, no tilt and a lot of backward tilt it only shifts between 2 positions. 

Position 1 is slightly forward tilt,  about 3 degrees.

Position 2 is neutral/no tilt, 0 degrees. 

Hello, are you using ninebot ?!! Unicycle? how do you set the footrest position ? 

Hello guys.  I have the same problem as what Gil was faced with. When i lean my body forward i feel the ninebot one E+ is also leaning forward. This is conformable and i feel instability. I tried to calibrate Ninebot one E+ but it did not work. When i over speed usually the unit head should lean backward but in my case It does not. In addition, when i over speed it suddenly starts shaking uncontrollably. Any solution ? By the way i am running the latest Firmware. 

Wich firmware version do you have?

Are you running the wheel in the right direction? (Power button in the front and charge port in the rear)

• 3 months later...

If you push the "ok" button to calibrate the Bot then u have 3 seconds to tilt it in the direction and pitch angle u want to set the new calibration point. Beeps will indicate that its set.

But if u pitch it in some degree the bots will move on its self because its onw weight pushes it. Its own Mass is out of the center.

Thats what i figured out.

Guys,

Any chance we can get some clarity on this subject please. 

My reason for this that my old Ninebot E had the plates perfect for me, meaning when moving forward the plates were level when applying the just the right amount of pressure to maintain momentum. 

I now own a Ninebot P and the plates point slightly more forward meaning I'm toes downwards while maintaining momentum. Which is tiring and giving me foot ache badly. 

Ive tried to re calabratre but when I do so it just returns to its original place. 

Really could do do with advice with this please. 

On 27/12/2015 at 7:14 AM, Douglas Ingram said:

Guys,

Any chance we can get some clarity on this subject please. 

My reason for this that my old Ninebot E had the plates perfect for me, meaning when moving forward the plates were level when applying the just the right amount of pressure to maintain momentum. 

I now own a Ninebot P and the plates point slightly more forward meaning I'm toes downwards while maintaining momentum. Which is tiring and giving me foot ache badly. 

Ive tried to re calabratre but when I do so it just returns to its original place. 

Really could do do with advice with this please. 

May be it's the 'ride mode' you should be looking at instead of the calibration?  The higher the number the more 'tilt' will be required to get going - might be you've already tried it, just in case tho :)

Also - just to make sure the test is 'complete' - have you tried to ride the P backward (I don't mean moving backward, just standing the other way around so the rear of the handle is facing forward)?  If the opposite is true, you stand with the bias toward the back instead of the front then the sensor could be mounted or calibrated incorrectly but if it still takes as much tilt to get it moving then its just the characteristics of a different model may be?

Could do with an incidence meter and a treadmill to really test conclusively ;)

• 5 months later...

@Tienda Ninebotexcellent calibration video.  I noticed the pedals slightly dipping forward.  If you do the calibration with the pedals leaning back does that mean you will be riding with a slight tiltback.  Because I think that might be a good thing.  Protect the toes and whatnot.

On ‎08‎.‎06‎.‎2016 at 1:05 AM, steve454 said:

@Tienda Ninebotexcellent calibration video.  I noticed the pedals slightly dipping forward.  If you do the calibration with the pedals leaning back does that mean you will be riding with a slight tiltback.  Because I think that might be a good thing.  Protect the toes and whatnot.

That's right, you can do the manual calibration while leaning the 9b1... but if you do that, then you will get the tiltback much earlier because of the wrong level reference point.

The calibration method shown above is the real saver for many 9b1 users and should be done almost by any owner.

2 hours ago, Vik's said:

That's right, you can do the manual calibration while leaning the 9b1... but if you do that, then you will get the tiltback much earlier because of the wrong level reference point.

The calibration method shown above is the real saver for many 9b1 users and should be done almost by any owner.

The reason I ask that question is because in the latest EucExtreme videos it looks like the pedals are tilted up in front. On my NB1 the pedals feel tilted down a little.  By the way I changed riding setting to 4 and it feels like suspension is softer riding rough ground, it feels better than setting 1 or 0.

39 minutes ago, steve454 said:

The reason I ask that question is because in the latest EucExtreme videos it looks like the pedals are tilted up in front. On my NB1 the pedals feel tilted down a little.  By the way I changed riding setting to 4 and it feels like suspension is softer riding rough ground, it feels better than setting 1 or 0.

If your pedals tilting down I would try to get them even first by manual calibration and ride for some miles on it before doing any modification to reference point.

I've settled on level 4 *(last 300 km) and it feels just right to me too.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎2016‎年‎6‎月‎8‎日 at 6:35 AM, Tienda Ninebot said:

Here you can see how to do a calibrating complete for your Ninebot One. Easy and clear! Enjoy!!

Hi Tienda Ninebot,

Thank you very much for posting the video.

I always wanted to calibrate my Ninebot One C+ because its foot plates had also been somewhat pointing down forward.
Furthermore the roll (left/right tilt) was off quite a bit. When the Ninebot was held perfectly perpendicular the Ninebot App showed about -9 degree of roll.

Previously I tried to calibrate the Ninebot using the calibration function in the Ninebot App.
However, as other users have experienced too, after the calibration process the Ninebot would always move back to the original factory-set position, no matter at what angle I placed it during the calibration.

With the method shown in your video I can successfully calibrate the "zero" position of my Ninebot to whatever angle I like (of course within certain limits) and now I have set my Ninebot to an angle that allows comfortable riding for me.

I don't know how the Ninebot's software is using the data of the roll (left/right) angle sensor during operation, but it may also be important to have the roll "zero" position calibrated properly.
As I mentioned above this was originally not calibrated well on my Ninebot.
In the past when doing slow tight turns to the right I always had the feeling my right foot was going to slide off the foot plate any moment, because in addition to leaning to the right to take the turn it felt to me as if the Ninebot was at the same time also pitching forward quite a lot.

This calibration was the last bit I needed to finally have my Ninebot One customized so that it fully suits me. :-)

Archived