THE VIDEO THREAD!

dpong

Looks like you could use wrist guards with that too...  Hope it didn't hurt to much

Not too bad.  Icing the hip.  Watching the vid I figured out what happened.  After the jump, I felt off-balance backwards, like I was going to fall backwards.  I instinctively tried to take a step back with my left foot.  But that made the board lean to the right, while still being 'stuck' to my left foot.  When I tried to put my left foot back down it was off-center to the roller, and that swept the roller and board out from under me.  Being able to analyze my failures is what the video was for.  It is a good practice.  

• Upvote 1

@castShadow nice m10 video, great sound! Do you have padding strips with zipties on the foot pads? Does this give better traction? more comfortable ride? Thanks for posting!

They are not zip ties.  I use two leather belts and I thread the pool noodles in the center.  The belts are adjustable if needed (being belts) and I carved the sides of the noodles to make thinner and to also fit the contour of the shell/chassis.  First I was trying to tape on padding but they would come off and also I found thicker is better - these are very thick compared to normal bumper padding.

What it does for me is it gives good contact with the side of the legs which give a lot of feedback about what's going on and it makes it very stable to rider and easy to control.  The padding is soft and thick, and they can be slipped on and off easily - they are not taped and not tied.  It works perfect with the MTen design.  I also packed it away in a box and can't find right now so I'm using funny things like a towel for padding.  Always innovate.

Hah ha, wait  :lol: oh you meant on the footpads - the petals or pedals - yes I experimented with padding.  The Gotway pedals have very high raised ridges and it is hard to adjust your feet on top of them, they are anti-slip - plus I was experimenting with cushioning.  You can get used to anything - they are taped and zip-tied very simply.  They add traction and padding for comfort - results may vary - if you try it you'll find them uncomfortably bulky at first - I think these have flattened out and I'm used to them now.  I also tried the padding on another wheel with different results.

if you use zip tie in this manner, after cutting them, I trim and round the cut tip because it can be sharp and they are exposed when you flip the pedals up and they'll snag on everything.

...and while we're at it: As my Mten needed repair by 1RadWerkstatt, I encouraged them to try it out and make a video if they like. Guess what? They liked :):

What kind of repair did you need on Mten?  I have another wheel that I want the motor repaired - seems impossible but I saw a guy open up a motor on video and repaired it - I was like whoah...

(Notice I quoted the text and didn't quote the video - tip: just delete the video link if you don't want it repeated)

• Upvote 1

What kind of repair did you need on Mten?  I have another wheel that I want the motor repaired - seems impossible but I saw a guy open up a motor on video and repaired it - I was like whoah...

(Notice I quoted the text and didn't quote the video - tip: just delete the video link if you don't want it repeated)

See - I learned selective quoting :D

With my Mten, the battery contacts were corroded to a degree that short-circuited multiple cells. So, I got the battery exchanged and I am happy with GotWay's service finding a solution in country. AFAIK 1RadWerkstatt does all sorts of repairs for many EUC brands, but I'm not sure whether they can help with a broken motor. Just describe the problem via email to 1RadWerkstatt@gmx.de and you will get a quick answer, whether its worth a try. Good Luck! 

Hah ha, wait  :lol: oh you meant on the footpads - the petals or pedals - yes I experimented with padding.  The Gotway pedals have very high raised ridges and it is hard to adjust your feet on top of them, they are anti-slip - plus I was experimenting with cushioning.  You can get used to anything - they are taped and zip-tied very simply.  They add traction and padding for comfort - results may vary - if you try it you'll find them uncomfortably bulky at first - I think these have flattened out and I'm used to them now.  I also tried the padding on another wheel with different results.

if you use zip tie in this manner, after cutting them, I trim and round the cut tip because it can be sharp and they are exposed when you flip the pedals up and they'll snag on everything.

@castShadow , thanks for the answer. I have added traction tape to my (IPS) pedals because they were slippery. I was interested in your modification, because after 20 minutes, the soles of my feet get sore. I do the shift and wiggle dance, right left, heel toe to try and release the cramping. I thought padding might make this better. (Of course, some shoes, like running shoes, are more comfy with their own padding, but I commute in dress shoes.) Maybe if I add a pad of material like the inside of the Addiasage slides it can provide both traction and padding!

@Villac  Ah, I know that feeling.  I had a wheel that (maybe) was the most comfortable I ever rode and it had rubber inserts on top of the pedals which I thought might have been the reason.  This is my thinking when I pad the pedals in addition to just selecting shoes.  At closer inspection the pedals on that wheel also had a little bit of give up and down, this is because it partially rests on a bit of ledge - I thought this could contributed to the comfort as well working like shock absorbers.  Also it has high side ledges and I was resting the side of my knees on them which could have reduced pressure on the soles of my feet - not sure really if this was only because I was having a good day because that wheel is not working at this time.

But it does make sense that if you are standing in place on a hard surface for an hour your feet could start to hurt and go numb - but if you were to stand on soft padding it could help - what about some really soft gel pads maybe?  The risk with having too much padding is losing the feel of the wheel and thus having less control.  But we could also start from a pile of too much padding and reducing to regain feel and control (in reverse of starting from no padding).

• Upvote 1

On 2015-10-28 18:52:45, Villac said:

I was interested in your modification, because after 20 minutes, the soles of my feet get sore. I do the shift and wiggle dance, right left, heel toe to try and release the cramping. I thought padding might make this better. (Of course, some shoes, like running shoes, are more comfy with their own padding, but I commute in dress shoes.) 

I have found out that softer shoes( like runners) makes my feet cramp much faster then shoes with a hard sole. But you are driving with dress shoes so IDK.

4 hours ago, Villac said:

Well, we are not Alec Segmullers, but here are my son and I rolling around ourlittle town.

Where is this?

@Viktiga The sunny day video is Northumbeland, Pennsylvania, USA in central Pennsylvania along the Susquehanna River valley. This time of year is beautiful with clear cool weather and trees in full growth, before all the leaves fall off and we have cold gray skies and a blanket of muddy snow. I need to get a video of crossing the river before the ducks and geese leave and the edges freeze up.

As for shoes, I am most comfortable in rigid soled work boots (these are tougher to fit on the foot pedals), medium comfortable in supportive running shoes (I wear New Balance 980 which has a thick sole) and least comfortable in office/dress shoes.

I'm hunting for the best choice for a pedal pad to strap on: I think I am going to cut up a rubber sandal. I don't want to give up the friction of my skateboard tape, so it will have to be a sandal with some sort of textured surface.