THE VIDEO THREAD!

dpong

@Bob Eisenman Nice. The wide angle camera gives you a good impression of how everything really looks, and the hyperlapse makes it watchable!

Wondering why you ride against traffic (like a pedestrian might). Looked a bit sketchy some times.

In situations like this (slower speed + narrow roads), I'd use the right (= "right") side, and not get too close to the curb, or people will try to overtake you. Just using the lane regularly (more or less in the middle) and block people from trying anything. I believe that's the safest option, just flow with traffic.

@yourtoys7 The video maker of this does not post here, but you can ask in the Youtube comments.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, yourtoys7 said:

A+,

couple of ?s, whats your avg. speed through the city?, how do you hear the warning signal or do you use tilt back?

I'm tempted to play along and pretend it's me, but I'm just an amateur with a Gotway MCM3 that I haven't even unlocked from 11 mph tilt-back yet. And I'm still under 2 feet of snow with another snow storm coming in.

This guy Chooch is nuts though, check out his channel for more videos including urban/Denver.

1 hour ago, trya said:

Practice, practice, practice... a few variations of figure "eight" :)

You sure do enjoy one-legged riding :thumbup:  I see that in my future...

• Like 3

13 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Wondering why you ride against traffic (like a pedestrian might).

I dunno....I'm comfortable riding either way....the face to face of using the 'incorrect' lane has advantages for ME....but as you suggest ...may be alarming to drivers such as one in the video making a long honk (not heard in video) while turning into the traffic lane...

In this video the 'proper lane' is accessed only (2x) with some waiting at a crosswalk....while yours truly the rider is possibly rushed to catch a scheduled train.

One can also argue against using the sidewalk on the Harvard bridge rather than the correct bike lane on the opposite side of the bridge.

With frozen sidewalk ice and snow the spontaneity of  the ride path choosen went by flow rather than standards of utmost safety.....the school bus was a little bit uncomfortable. BTW the bike lane as a defined space ends a few hundred feet before the school bus encounter.....I usually take the harbor side walkway a few blocks away....except when frozen ice and snow piles obstruct it's continuous path length.

Thanks for your concern....your suggestions are very reasonable.

I have another Eken H9 'fly by' video of the 'New England Holocaust' memorial in Boston from a clip between State Street to North station. I've once ridden (another EUC) through the structure at night....sort of creepy given the pseudo smoke emitted from the under gratings.....Probably a poor judgement call by me there too. The dominant presence of the structure, so close to Quincy market, was intimidating when first constructed a few years back but it's 'transparency' diminishes it's immediate visual impact...sort of... until one does the math.

I hope you enjoyed the Revere Beach ride with its unobstructed and occasionally sandy patches..... be careful of those mud rides with your shoulder being 'on the mend'.

Edited by Bob Eisenman

14 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Wondering why

On the 2nd day of Eken H9 use (this last weekend) I was taking some seaside EUC video along a beach sidewalk closer to where I live (5 mile ride). A fellow with long and somewhat wet and curly looking hair walked up to me wondering about the electric unicycle and how much it costs. As the conversation (interrogation?) progressed he announced that he travels to Ireland frequently and had recently returned from one such trip. He made it clear that he met someone in Ireland who rides an unpowered unicycle which was ridden by the person 'all across Ireland'. His questions then became locally focused. 'I saw a guy on one of these things 'riding along (the bicycle path next to) Memorial Drive' (Cambridge across from Boston 18 miles from where I live) yesterday. It was YOU! 'Probably' I responded. 'To take 'GoPro' videos' and post them on the Internet....right? Not enjoying his conversation I said 'yeah' ....as in 'far out man'...

'Take care pal' he replied as he went about the rest of his walk.

Maybe my chosen ride path gets too close to 'Arsenal Mall' in Watertown.

Edited by Bob Eisenman

16 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Nice

As I waited for the cross walk light to change at the Harvard bridge, action cam mounted atop my helmet on its first day of use, a bike rider pulled up next to me and showed some interest in the Gotway Monster. His  bicycles rear wheel was the Copenhagen Wheel 'electric assist' developed at MIT. I said 'and that's the Copenhagen Wheel......do you like it?' He replied that the Copenhagen Wheel is made 'right here in Cambridge' and that he used to work for the company. 'When the weather gets a little warmer the company gives free test rides' at the corporate location in Cambridge.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, kasenutty said:

I was surprised to see that the Copenhagen wheel is real and not just a joke from the TV Show Weeds :D

The webpage says 30 mile assist range in ideal conditions.

I also read about a similar product called 'flykly'.

http://flykly.com

Edited by Bob Eisenman

9 hours ago, Smoother said:

I can't find the thread anymore, otherwise, I would add you to my "pick 5 riders you want to ride with" list.  I love your sense of humor. 

stock-photo-winneconne-wi-october-can-of

Its funny, that warning at the bottom, could almost apply to EUC riding; at least the tooth loss part.

on a euc it should say:

"warning this product can have permanent health disabilities as.    tooth loss,    gum disease.      ehhhm Gum Seise.        memory loss and. . .  memory loss"                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   (your gums fall out)

Edited by Shad0z
  • Like 1

On 20/3/2018 at 6:29 AM, Marty Backe said:

You sure do enjoy one-legged riding :thumbup:  I see that in my future...

i need to learn that :o

one legged riding as i can do it now looks amazing on camera. but that :o is even more. is it hard?