THE VIDEO THREAD!

dpong

7 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I ran across this video by accident.  I'm surprised that these were around in 2009.  Has anyone seen an earlier video of one?

Love the enthusiasm of that guy. And that's how we feel about EUCs.  So I thought Solowheel invented this technology. So the Chinese rip Solowheel off or this guy, or neigther? :confused1: 

Hard to say who stole it from who.  I remember someone posting a patent drawing of a balancing unicycle, and it was from a really long time ago.  The interesting thing about the video I posted is that the pedals are mounted at the level of the axle without using a pedal support to drop the foot position down.

The frame support also comes off from the axle towards the back and centres everything over the top of the wheel so the tilt angle drive input doesn't come from the pedals.  It's a very ingenius design.  Date on the video is 2009,  but I don't know if the actual video was aired at that time or even earlier.  I guess if you think about it a bit, it is similar to the SBU,  but it has a fancier swivel top section with a spring damper at the back to help return to centre.

Edited by Hunka Hunka Burning Love
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Love the enthusiasm of that guy. And that's how we feel about EUCs.  So I thought Solowheel invented this technology. So the Chinese rip Solowheel off or this guy, or neigther? :confused1: 

To be fair, Solowheel/Chen's contribution was the evolutionary but not at all obvious and quite important realization (or simply successful experiment) to explicitly not have a seat, steering column (which a seat kind of is), or something similar; but to control the thing standing, because ultimately seated riding runs counter to the direct full body and especially hip control (as opposed to upper body only) that makes EUCs special to ride and so much fun (skiing/snaking/waving/quick rotating for balance) and distinguishes them from every other self balancing vehicle (e.g. how would you go up a steep mountain requiring rapid balancing of bumps while seated?).

Edited by meepmeepmayer
  • Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

I see you're working on your new EXTREEEME MARTY!!! persona;)

Hey, the Monster is the only thing Gotway still has going for it right this instant. Thought I'd send it a little love :D

• Upvote 2

:popcorn: Very impressive filming and editing as well as crazy riding skills!  I was just wondering how can that guy riding backwards see where he is going - it looks so dark then yep.  :rolleyes:  Good to recognize Tishawn and see his underglow Msuper in the video!

It's also interesting to see the dichotomy where on the West coast it seems like helmets and protective gear is king whereas East coast motherfu... ah... East coast riders like to go skin to the pavement.  :popcorn:

Edited by Hunka Hunka Burning Love
  • Upvote 3

They seem like perfect candidates for those LED neon glow vests. Be seen and look nicer.

Somehow all New York City EUC (and electric skateboard) riders I've seen in videos seem to like driving around right in traffic at nighttime without any (real) lights and like it's a playground and cars see them as well as they see the cars (one wonders if they have ever driven a car at nighttime). Surprised this goes so well and no accidents happened yet.

Also, what you can see from the crash at the end, and what I know from personal experience: Holding anything in the hands will make you instinctively try not to drop it and will make you not use your hands to brace a fall when you otherwise maybe would (even the backpack over the shoulder seems to have been in the way). So don't hold anything in your hands while riding and also don't block your arms from moving freely.

Edited by meepmeepmayer
  • Upvote 3

On 6/25/2017 at 9:53 PM, Marty Backe said:

That's a bummer. I remember you gave me your camera and I recorded you - or I pointed it in your direction :unsure: No biggie.

I only got this clip you recorded for me. I guess we were too busy having fun. 

• Upvote 3

25 minutes ago, noisycarlos said:

I only got this clip you recorded for me. I guess we were too busy having fun. 

We need to keep hunting these out. This is the first one I've ever seen that was empty.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

We need to keep hunting these out. This is the first one I've ever seen that was empty.

There's one near my place that is always empty... Perhaps a return visit will be needed? 

Something to talk about the weekend after next...

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, noisycarlos said:

I think it was empty because we were early ish, maybe the trick it's to wake up before the skaters.

Maybe, but we were riding about the same time during @swvision's ride and that skate park was fairly busy. Next time I'm riding that trail I'm going to check it out again, then I'll know whether our visit was a fluke.

• Upvote 1

A 26 minute ride on my Ninebot One E+ from the local mall in Danvers to Beverly airport (Massachusetts). My favorite section is the long run of sidewalk starting around 19:55 in the video. The video is mostly sidewalk runs with a few nice residential street sections and an industrial park setting nearer to the airport. It takes me one recharge stop at the mall to reach the destination. The ride from the mall to the airport and back to the mall is an 8 mile loop before another recharge at the mall area to get back to my apartment. When fully charged my Ninebot range is 17 miles before going into battery conservation mode at 6 miles of charge with speed restrictions, so 8-10 miles of 'good speed' riding range in warm weather is about the best that I ( a 220 lb rider) expect out of the Ninebot. 

mall to airport.PNG

• Upvote 2

53 minutes ago, Bob Eisenman said:
A 26 minute ride on my Ninebot One E+ from the local mall in Danvers to Beverly airport (Massachusetts). My favorite section is the long run of sidewalk starting around 19:55 in the video. The video is mostly sidewalk runs with a few nice residential street sections and an industrial park setting nearer to the airport. It takes me one recharge stop at the mall to reach the destination. The ride from the mall to the airport and back to the mall is an 8 mile loop before another recharge at the mall area to get back to my apartment. When fully charged my Ninebot range is 17 miles before going into battery conservation mode at 6 miles of charge with speed restrictions, so 8-10 miles of 'good speed' riding range in warm weather is about the best that I ( a 220 lb rider) expect out of the Ninebot. 

mall to airport.PNG

Pretty cool ride, especially at the end when you got to the airport.  Was that an F86 Sabre?, I recognized the Huey helicopter looking like it was on a strafing run.  Looked like a great day for riding.  Yeah, at 19:55 the clouds look so nice, not cumulus, I forget what they are called, but they look nice.

Edited by steve454

@Bob Eisenman Liking your new video making.

Looks like you would benefit from a bigger battery (and also maybe faster) wheel. 8-10 miles sounds a bit unsatisfying. Not sure how long your ideal tour and ride time would be. Maybe you also enjoy these little charge stops and it's fine for you?

In the first part, crossing the roads seemed a bit dangerous, but I guess that's due to the narrower point of view and the video not showing what you see when you look.

Also, you seem to like to ride close to the curb when on streets (as seen when curving around parked cars). I usually stay a bit away from the side for several reasons. In or nearly in the lane a car would use, you may be seen better by cars and they can't mentally put you away as "not on the road"; more space to evade if someone shoots out of a driveway or other road side location; and finally you can't fall on the curb if that happens.

Are you using your phone for videoing?

You may or may not (didn't try yet) get rid of the wind noise by taping a little bit of thin foam, a band aid, or even just a small piece of kitchen/toilet paper on the microphone (anything that blocks the wind but not totally seals it off). It will still record sound, just no longer the wind noise. At least that's what I've heard.

4 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Also, you seem to like to ride close to the curb when on streets

Holding a Kodak SL10 on a mini tripod with my right hand gives an untrue perspective of where 'the wheel' is. 

The microphone is only a small diameter hole in the camera body, much like a cell phone camera.

Showing traffic crossings which convey on coming traffic is an exaggerated art which I often not include while actively crossing streets. 

'Monster' or ACM miles..... wow....hard to imagine.

The airpot does a brisk (fast in and out) small jet business. I've seen an entire flight crew and passenger total of only thee or four disembark into a car and drive off the field for 'American Renal', which maybe collects kidney donors from where ever the sources are:

http://flightaware.com/resources/registration/N752AR

• Upvote 1