THE VIDEO THREAD!

dpong

5 hours ago, Keith said:

And if you want it loud, sound systems for electric model aircraft are available, fairly light they need to produce a lot of volume to be audible at all in the air: http://www.modelsoundsinc.com/index.php

Very cool. And their sound modules can vary the sound based on the speed. If a person wanted to spend the time I can see how these sound systems could be incorporated into the wheel very effectively.

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, Dingfelder said:

I really like their latest riding video.  Cindy's looking really relaxed and confident, and the ending is very cute.

Yes, that was great! I didn't see this one earlier!

On 5/30/2017 at 8:49 PM, Marty Backe said:

How far did you take the lessons? Does look fun.

Oh, it's great fun. I took one lesson on a Cessna and one on a heli. Unfortunately life got busy and I couldn't justify the expense on a hobby ($120+$50 instructor per hour for plane, twice that for helis).

I wanna get back to it though. Planes are really fun in a more relaxing way, like to cruise around and watch the scenery. But Helis are much more involved and agile, and really fun to fly.

I finished ground school last year and it's really interesting. Everything from weather, engines, aerodynamics, etc. Really tickes my scientific brain :-)

• Upvote 3

That was very cool!  They really stood up to abuse. They are going to make a great name for themselves if they keep building with such quality in mind.

I was surprised the machine took such a beating at the beginning and didn't get a big crack, etc.

9 hours ago, abinder3 said:

Don't know if many have seen this video showing abuse to King Song EUCs:

Great video. I think the only real 'stress' part was the first one, free falling down the stairs. That looked brutal.

On 5/31/2017 at 4:56 AM, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

@noisycarlos I liked your helicopter video too!  Wow you're like multi-talented....  flyboarder, steady cam infinite dolly rider, and helicopter pilot!   

If anyone is interested in flying I can really recommend something that comes between airplanes and helicopters - the gyrocopter (auto-gyro). To me this is the flying version of the EUC: light-weight, relatively inexpensive  and simple (fits in a garage), although not the VTOL capacity of a helicopter but very short anyhow. Here is a video made by my flight-instructor (cool: at arond 6:20 he taxes in to a standard gas-station for refuelling)

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I've always been amazed to find out that the top lift rotor is unpowered.  :efee78d764:  It sort of boggles the mind how that autorotates enough to keep the craft afloat!

Me, too, did you see The Road Warrior movie where the sky captain would get the main rotor spinning with his hand before takeoff?  He would just get it started in the direction of rotation before the pusher prop moved the craft forward.

• Upvote 2

Yeah, it's a bit of a showoff video and it looks like almost VTOL but I'm guessing he has a 20-25 mph head-wind that keeps the rotor moving even when he does a touch-down. When you start from scratch there is a pre-rotator function that diverts some of the motor energy up to the rotator to get a good lift-component before taking off.

• Upvote 3

45 minutes ago, Snurre said:

Yeah, it's a bit of a showoff video and it looks like almost VTOL but I'm guessing he has a 20-25 mph head-wind that keeps the rotor moving even when he does a touch-down. When you start from scratch there is a pre-rotator function that diverts some of the motor energy up to the rotator to get a good lift-component before taking off.

That pilot is super skilled, that looks like fun, that's the way to train, low level over snow.  Gyrocopters have gotten a lot better over the years.  A pre-rotator function sounds very usefull, also it was very cool how he could fly sideways.  Showoff videos are the best!:thumbup:

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Dingfelder said:

She does look very skilled, but I didn't notice a gyrocopter.

I should feel embarrassed to say this, but the hell. I've watched many of her videos. Quite a lot are of her flying the gyrocopter. I must say, I'll watch her fly anything :D

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

If you're going to recommend the gyrocopter, then at least send people to watch Gyrocopter Girl:

You crazy Germans (I think she's German) ;)

I was going to recommend her also, rich german woman learning to fly.  What a life she must have.  She had one of the most expensive gyrocopters you can get.

• Upvote 3

I gotta go, haven't actually watched the video yet, but I will. I love these things.  

Wasn't it in You Only Live Twice that Bond flew one?  Or was that in Doctor No?  Anyway I was amazed when I saw it and am still amazed by this kind of thing today.

I only wish we could all fly one to work one day ... but I don't think we could ever get past the safety issues.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, SuperSport said:

I've been a fan of hers ever since she started posting. And I purposely left the video in my reply so her image is in more posts. ?

She is a pretty good pilot.  Dang, I thought the video was in my reply!

Edited by steve454
  • Upvote 1