THE VIDEO THREAD!

dpong

2 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I didn't have a scale, but there's no way that the GT16 weighed that much. Sometimes the spec's that you see on web sites are pulled out of someones butt :)

Ah, @abinder3 I flubbed the 4, should've been a 3, 39lbs. Good catch.

4 hours ago, KingSong69 said:

If she didnot think that after 4 wheels allready...she will take a fifth, also :rolleyes: Perhaps she gave up after the second or third :whistling:

I guessed that on some deliveries to the US the Batterie has to be sent separatly...perhaps because of that the pads are not taped, so that the Batterie compartment is better reachable?

Nice Review!

We looked but there appears to be no access to anything understandable. Behind the pads are what looks like a small cardboard cover to something, about the size of a deck of cards. His shipped with the batteries installed.

4 hours ago, houseofjob said:

The pedals are thin, not small I would say. If you measure them against MSuper pedals, the length is the same, but the MSuper pedals are ~1/2" wider.

3 weeks of riding my GT16 in quite a bit of rain in NYC, no issue with slip. The pedals, due to being thinner and rubber I believe, do a pronounced V, more so than any other EUC brand, which wedges your feet to the machine more.

Good to hear that they work good when wet.

My GT16 is long presses for power on and off, actually one of the longest of all EUCs I've bought. And I've tested pressing mid-ride, the GT16 does not shut off.

Dunno if @captainwells's GT16 is different.

I turned it on and off multiple times. It's instantaneous for sure.

Very subjective, must be a first ride thing. Riding for 3 weeks solely on my GT16, can't say mine feels not stable; feels plenty stable here.

And nimble is relative. My GT16 feels like a regular 16", not as nimble as my 14" V5F+, especially due to the GT16's 49lbs 39lbs.

And yes, the GT16 is very smooth. It has a rubbery like resistance to the drive, but not in a V8 way, more buttery.

Agreed, this is all very subjective, based on what wheels we have experience with. Probably bad choice of words, that's why I said "not stable in good way". It's always hard to describe in words how something feels.

Yes, the GT16 is a hard response, just softer than a Ninebot or InMotion. 

The GT16 actually goes the other way, the pedals tiltback more than they dip, which is great for turns, but the rest of the time, they almost feel like speed warning tiltback if you didn't know any better.

3 weeks all over NYC, no issues yet (my tiltback and alarms are at 40kph, and I am 79kg. Most Asia faceplant reports seem to come from heavyweight riders going uphill FWIW. 

The crackling might be debris. The GT16, due to not a lot of tire clearance, tends to pick up a lot of debris going through the tire-case crevice.

This is most definitely not debris (I don't think debris makes noise when the wheel is standing still).

Personally, I love the rocket type sound when pushing the GT16. On the flip side, it can be on the louder side when rolling in a quiet building..

Since your power button behaves differently and you got your wheel much earlier, maybe this GT16 has some design differences, one of which results in the crackling sound?

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Since your power button behaves differently and you got your wheel much earlier, maybe this GT16 has some design differences, one of which results in the crackling sound?

They've been improving the GT16 as they go. My GT16 was from the same dealer, Rockwheel AliExpress store, with just about 3 weeks difference. They should be the same batch before the order stop happened early in March.

My power on is about 4 full seconds, power lights on first, then beep, then the wheel balances. My power off is a hair under 2 seconds. Both long press, not momentary.

I have no crackling sound with power on or off; I thought you were saying this happened during riding.

Edited by houseofjob
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

They've been improving the GT16 as they go. My GT16 was from the same dealer, Rockwheel AliExpress store, with just about 3 weeks difference. They should be the same batch before the order stop happened early in March.

My power on is about 4 full seconds, power lights on first, then beep, then the wheel balances. My power off is a hair under 2 seconds. Both long press, not momentary.

I have no crackling sound with power on or off; I thought you were saying this happened during riding.

Certainly different wheels based on the behavior of the power button. The crackling sound is more pronounce when the wheel is in motion, but it's not a mechanical sound such as what would be cause by debris.

Just now, Marty Backe said:

Certainly different wheels based on the behavior of the power button. The crackling sound is more pronounce when the wheel is in motion, but it's not a mechanical sound such as what would be cause by debris.

Weird. That would've freaked me out when I got my GT16, esp. with the cutout issues reported in Asia, but 3 weeks in, no issues (albeit, I don't push above 40kph, and I'm not a heavyweight).

Don't think Rockwheel quality control, esp. consistency, is the greatest, but the ride does not seem to be affected at the very least.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, houseofjob said:

Weird. That would've freaked me out when I got my GT16, esp. with the cutout issues reported in Asia, but 3 weeks in, no issues (albeit, I don't push above 40kph, and I'm not a heavyweight).

Don't think Rockwheel quality control, esp. consistency, is the greatest, but the ride does not seem to be affected at the very least.

Another reason I'm going to let @captainwells break his in for awhile before I pull the trigger :D

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Another reason I'm going to let @captainwells break his in for awhile before I pull the trigger :D

This one is just crazy. a GT16 84V 45kph. $1,000. The GW ACM is $1,400.

@Marty Backe  marty.  How does it compare to the ACM? which one you think you would buy if you have a choice between the ACM vs GT16?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2017-NEW-ROCKWHEEL-GT16-Electric-unicycle-speed-max-45km-h-84V-16inch-lithium-battery-680WH-858WH/32782256075.html?spm=2114.10010108.1000014.4.E8zsTh&scm=1007.13338.80878.000000000000000&pvid=cb485c17-f192-45f8-8dae-6a19d99696e7&tpp=1

@Marty Backe

"electrical crackling sound" i have on my KS18 since the firmware was upgraded...getting more noticable on high torque situations...but it improved the wheel behavior also! So a kind of firmware/magnet/coils interaction i would guess...

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, houseofjob said:

Proximity of weight, in particular battery weight, might make the KS18 feel heavier (ie. gravity), as the battery packs are down the leg sides and farther from the handle on the KS18 as opposed to the shorter GT16 (battery packs still down the side of each leg, albeit in a more compact frame).

This phenomena is particularly observed in the InMotion wheels, where the battery packs sit on top, right next to the handles.

edit: phenomena is the same, but disregard, should've read 39lbs for 858WH

So in short, what are you really trying to say?

Are you trying to say my KS18 doesn't weigh about 50 lbs ?

All I asked was if the GT16 actually weighs 49 lbs.  What's the purpose of your post ??

2 minutes ago, abinder3 said:

So in short, what are you really trying to say?

Are you trying to say my KS18 doesn't weigh about 50 lbs ?

All I asked was if the GT16 actually weighs 49 lbs.  What's the purpose of your post ??

No point really, just the battery displacement thing. 

My 49lbs was off, like @Marty Backe corrected, should be 39lbs.

1 minute ago, SuperSport said:

And hopefully not arcing between the motor wires.  That would eventually take a toll, and cause a major failure in the future.

crackling is BAD.  I hope is just sand pebbles getting picked up by the rubber wheel and flying off in the upper wheel weal. High pitch is just fine. Crackling could be Back-EMF of the motor arcing. if you go at the same speed, does it do it periodically? Maybe is a bad coil with broken wires.  Maybe I should not comment anymore. I just dont think any crackling of any kind is normal.

Do not open the wheel Hub unless you have the tool to pull it out properly and do not stick a prying tool to open the motor hub cover. You will damage coils.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, KingSong69 said:

@Marty Backe

"electrical crackling sound" i have on my KS18 since the firmware was upgraded...getting more noticable on high torque situations...but it improved the wheel behavior also! So a kind of firmware/magnet/coils interaction i would guess...

Very interesting. @captainwells may find this reassuring.

1 hour ago, Carlos E Rodriguez said:

crackling is BAD.  I hope is just sand pebbles getting picked up by the rubber wheel and flying off in the upper wheel weal. High pitch is just fine. Crackling could be Back-EMF of the motor arcing. if you go at the same speed, does it do it periodically? Maybe is a bad coil with broken wires.  Maybe I should not comment anymore. I just dont think any crackling of any kind is normal.

Do not open the wheel Hub unless you have the tool to pull it out properly and do not stick a prying tool to open the motor hub cover. You will damage coils.

It's funny how everyone naturally thinks that it's some physical thing (rocks, sand, screws) loose in the wheel. This is an electrical sound that is consistent and loud. So far we have a sample of two units one of which does not have the sound and the other does. But one has a totally different power button configuration too, so the hardware appears to be different in the wheels.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Marty Backe said:

But one has a totally different power button configuration too, so the hardware appears to be different in the wheels.

Wait, I was just remembering, momentary press on the power button on my GT16 turns on the headlight while on. If @captainwells's is momentary press for power, was a long press now the way to turn on the headlight?

15 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

It's funny how everyone naturally thinks that it's some physical thing (rocks, sand, screws) loose in the wheel. This is an electrical sound that is consistent and loud. So far we have a sample of two units one of which does not have the sound and the other does. But one has a totally different power button configuration too, so the hardware appears to be different in the wheels.

LOL.  Just trying to find a reasonable source because otherwise I would be saying it's broken and I dont know. so I guess we oll think positive first and not worst case.

1 minute ago, Carlos E Rodriguez said:

LOL.  Just trying to find a reasonable source because otherwise I would be saying it's broken and I dont know. so I guess we oll think positive first and not worst case.

But @KingSong69 says that he now hears that sound in his upgraded KS18. So maybe it's not a bad thing. Who knows at this point.

• Upvote 1

Springtime on Chicago's Lakefront.  I've logged around 200 miles this week just on the Lakefront,  ~36 miles of contiguous bike path, and another 100 miles up into Wisconsin if you are willing to spend a bit of time in traffic.  I also plan to get out onto the North Branch trails with its bikepaths through beautiful wetlands.

Springtime in Chicago

Edited by Chris Westland

7 minutes ago, Chris Westland said:

Springtime on Chicago's Lakefront.

No joy, Chris. The video link cuts to the end credit ("CHRIS WESTLAND") and that's all that plays.  Attempting to start at the beginning results in this message:

Chris Westland.jpg

4 hours ago, houseofjob said:

MoooOOoore videos HOJ!!!  It would be nice to test the GT16 on some sort of treadmill to test the upper limits.  I remember seeing a video where someone tethered their wheel to the arms of a treadmill and rode it until it failed.  Might be a bit dangerous with 40kph+ speeds though...  Maybe that Russian fellow with the custom dyno rig will eventually do a video...    

• Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, Chris Westland said:

Springtime on Chicago's Lakefront.  I've logged around 200 miles this week just on the Lakefront,  ~36 miles of contiguous bike path, and another 100 miles up into Wisconsin if you are willing to spend a bit of time in traffic.  I also plan to get out onto the North Branch trails with its bikepaths through beautiful wetlands.

Springtime in Chicago

Hey. I live in Wisconsin and my Son goes to school in Chicago Downtown. What wheel do you own?