THE VIDEO THREAD!

dpong

1 hour ago, Pingouin said:

Hi guys,

Here is a video with my friends segway, I tried to shoot the video from the front by riding backwards, not easy ^^

Wow, that's some fantastic backwards riding, you even went through the gate backwards.  And pretty fast, also.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, steve454 said:

Wow, that's some fantastic backwards riding, you even went through the gate backwards.  And pretty fast, also.

Thank you, I don't often ride backwards because I always ends with a sore neck (looking backwards..) but once you master the basics going backwards is the same as going forward, I'm just a little anxious when I do it because I can't see obstacles very well :)

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Excellent job Marty! I caught you praying to the Gotway Gods! Good idea!

:D That's great @Rehab1   A perfect image to see as I prepare for Day 6 training :clap3:

• Upvote 1

On 3/20/2017 at 9:33 AM, meepmeepmayer said:

@Ombre Was that bird a real roadrunner? Never seen one before, I thought they were much bigger. Very cute and aptly named. Are these common or rare?

The critter that raced across the trail in my video was actually a ground squirrel@steve454 mistook it for a rabbit, and @meepmeepmayer thought it was a roadrunner, but both of those are much larger.  The ground squirrel is about the size of a chipmunk, and as you can see they're much faster than an Airwheel! ;)

Yes, roadrunners are common in the southwest and they are much bigger than ground squirrels.  Here's a picture I took of one.

Roadrunner.jpg

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, dpong said:

@Pingouin Fantastic.  You learned very quickly!  I sort of hate you right now. 

Why ? :o Have you tried to do the same thing ?

I think riding EUC for almost a year helps, when I asked my friends they said it would take me at least 6h to be able just to do a few meters, I've dont it in half an hour but I don't have a great balance.

9 minutes ago, dpong said:

Yes I tried, and probably will try again this summer. 

You may enjoy this forum:  http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/

My will to learn how to unicycle is just to improve my overall balance, I don't wish (for now) learning how to be an expert, it's too exhausting and I can't travel far enough with this thing (I feel like walking takes you further..).

From what I see in your video, you are making the same mistake I still make, it's going too slow, the slower you go the harder it is to keep balance from what I've learned so far ;) I hope you'll manage to master unicycling ! It's rewarding (but not as much as when I learned how to ride an EUC)

Edited by Pingouin

7 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Day 6

Great! Mission accomplished.

Next level is to exclude pushing out and start backwards right away, from standing position.

(BTW: Looking over your shoulder is obligatory to learn. It gives a lot of confidence. And the mirror looks too far, it won't show you what's right behind your wheel)

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Radislav said:

Great! Mission accomplished.

Next level is to exclude pushing out and start backwards right away, from standing position.

(BTW: Looking over your shoulder is obligatory to learn. It gives a lot of confidence. And the mirror looks too far, it won't show you what's right behind your wheel)

Thanks. Yeah, there's lots to learn still. Looking sideways, down, over my shoulder, etc. will all come naturally I think as my backward riding becomes more consistent and natural. I have a plan for practicing the reversals while traveling forward - Day 7.

• Upvote 1

On 3/21/2017 at 2:28 AM, Marty Backe said:

Continuing my journey to riding backwards. Things started clicking on Day 5 :D

Dude congrats !! Well done. Soon enough it's all your going to want to do.. Then it s going backwards and jumping off curbs then it's going backwards back to forwards while keeping your foot on the peddle.. then it's pivoting!! Good stuff!

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I have a plan for practicing the reversals while traveling forward - Day 7.

Great plan, then on Day 8 you'll link it all into a "long pendulum" - one of my favourite exercises :)

PS: Elbow protection for Day 7 maybe...

• Upvote 1

@Marty Backe When I first started watching your videos, I thought you had some kind of hill-retaining wall next to your driveway (I like the space it forms there). But it's just a huuuuge McMansion (or just a mansion?). With a camera filming pretty much only your driveway 24/7! Are these trees on your side of the fence spite trees? Is there an interesting story going on there?;)

Sorry if I'm being invasive/creepy, it's just some things I can't help but notice, I like architecture stuff. You house is also pretty nice with the Japanese-like style.

@Duf Hard to watch knowing there'll be a crash... but interesting.

Edited by meepmeepmayer
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Duf said:

Thanks to Marty I have begun a focused effort to learn backwards riding, here is the first video in the series of three, so far...

You should post day 3....where you have done a crazy good progress!!!

watched all of your and Marty's backward videos!

Very strong charakter to take the good and small progress and not to get frustrated! And as seen on day 3 ...it was worth it!

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Radislav said:

Great plan, then on Day 8 you'll link it all into a "long pendulum" - one of my favourite exercises :)

PS: Elbow protection for Day 7 maybe...

Thanks for your optimism. I think I'm stuck at a little plateau right now, so it's still going to be a few days before I can manage a forward reversal (going from forward to reverse).

• Upvote 1