THE VIDEO THREAD!

dpong

Just now, meepmeepmayer said:

Night riding is so nice. Cooler, less people, the lights, the darkness...

Also, where is that? And how much battery did each of you use for 55 km? Surprised a 16B can do that much!

Yes during the night, there are less people outside (except in tue city center) so it's easier to ride ^^

This is in a french city with a bunch of bike lanes. I used 50% battery to travel 55km, my friend with the KS16B only did 44km, he was at 23% ;)

4 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I think I'll probably start putting more protection on when I start practicing away from the cars.

If there's a situation when you'll need wrist and elbow guards, it's learning to go backwards. So since you have them anyways...;)

13 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

If there's a situation when you'll need wrist and elbow guards, it's learning to go backwards. So since you have them anyways...;)

Yeah, but it's a pain to put everything on. When I'm going for a 2 hour ride, spending 5+ minutes to put the gear on is OK. When when I'm going out to the driveway for 10-15 minutes of work, it's harder to get motivated to fully gear up.

• Upvote 2

I got tired just watching you put that all on. Yes, you are very well protected, but how warm/ hot that will get in the summer and time to put that all on. For me, Helmet + gloves/ wrist guard, knee and elbow protection of some kind. You should be protected in most situations.

2 minutes ago, yourtoys7 said:

I got tired just watching you put that all on. Yes, you are very well protected, but how warm/ hot that will get in the summer and time to put that all on. For me, Helmet + gloves/ wrist guard, knee and elbow protection of some kind. You should be protected in most situations.

I don't think he's on the forum (to read your message). I just reposted the video from the Facebook group.

• Upvote 1

Wasn't directed at him per say, just general comment. He reminded me of the Russian guy all geared up on winter hwy hitting 60km/h or something. Yes you get all the protection possible, but not very convenient nor practical.

• Upvote 2

On 3/17/2017 at 0:08 PM, Marty Backe said:

Day 2

Excellent! You just accomplished another milestone, snapping it forward after halting your backward momentum!

(:roflmao:)  Practice...practice... practice!

Edited by Rehab1
  • Upvote 1

Well. I decided to try part of the Aliso Creek Hiking and Riding path this afternoon.  You definitely don't want to try sections of it soon after a good rain storm.  Parts are very close to the level of the Creek.  Where I started, I actually walked my KS18B across water because it definitely looked very slippery (lots of algae covering the path where the water was going across it). 

I started just north of the 5 freeway and rode the path southwest. It was about 10 miles each way. 

IMG_3174.PNG

• Upvote 3

This is a rather crude video (using my iPhone) I did of the ride traveling southwest on the path. 

There is a section that's dirt that I didn't get in the video, but the dirt section is very short and pretty smooth. 

(The first few sections are where I walked my EUC across the water because it appeared to be rather slippery.)

• Upvote 3

On 3/17/2017 at 5:25 AM, Rehab1 said:

Excellent progress on your 1st day! It takes time but one day everything will come together! I would not advise riding backwards on some of the mountainous terrain you have encountered in the past!  :wacko:

Very solid progress Marty.  Makes me think maybe I should use a wall and start from a dead stop instead of trying to snap backwards first.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, abinder3 said:

Well. I decided to try part of the Aliso Creek Hiking and Riding path this afternoon.  You definitely don't want to try sections of it soon after a good rain storm.  Parts are very close to the level of the Creek.  Where I started, I actually walked my KS18B across water because it definitely looked very slippery (lots of algae covering the path where the water was going across it). 

I started just north of the 5 freeway and rode the path southwest. It was about 10 miles each way. 

IMG_3174.PNG

Thanks for this. I have yet to travel far south, but I've been meaning too. I have a brother that lives in this area, so I'm going to give this a ride. Your video shows it to be a very nice trail and a 20 mile ride is not too short.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Thanks for this. I have yet to travel far south, but I've been meaning too. I have a brother that lives in this area, so I'm going to give this a ride. Your video shows it to be a very nice trail and a 20 mile ride is not too short.

I started at about the middle of the trail also.  It's about 18 miles from one end to the other. 

Actually, where it ends in the south it appears that one can actually probably go farther. 

And the good thing is people, including any bicyclists that I saw, seemed to be very receptive to my being there.  I even went by what appeared to be a park ranger driving his truck and he just smiled. 

Sometime, I'd like to start at the same point and then go north of there on the trail. 

Allen

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, abinder3 said:

I started at about the middle of the trail also.  It's about 18 miles from one end to the other. 

Actually, where it ends in the south it appears that one can actually probably go farther. 

And the good thing is people, including any bicyclists that I saw, seemed to be very receptive to my being there.  I even went by what appeared to be a park ranger driving his truck and he just smiled. 

Sometime, I'd like to start at the same point and then go north of there on the trail. 

Allen

Cool. I like longer rides, so I think I'll try the extended route. Thanks again for the new route to add to my collection :D

Ever so small improvement for day 3 of my riding backwards training.

Edited by Marty Backe
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Cool. I like longer rides, so I think I'll try the extended route. Thanks again for the new route to add to my collection :D

What you might want to do is start in the middle like I did.  Go south and then come back to where you started. Then if you want to ride farther, just keeping going north and then come back to where you started. 

Allen

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, abinder3 said:

What you might want to do is start in the middle like I did.  Go south and then come back to where you started. Then if you want to ride farther, just keeping going north and then come back to where you started. 

Allen

Good point. I'll map out the full ride soon.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, steve454 said:

Getting better!  I noticed you can step up from either foot,  I always have to have my left foot on the pedal first.

Thanks. A long time ago I made a point of practicing mounting with either foot, and still try and use my less dominate foot when I remember. Comes in handy.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Yesterday I took the Monster for some riding near the Cogswell Dam, in Southern California. Here's a bit of fast downhill trail riding that I was enjoying. The Monster kills it when riding rough trails.

Cool !!!! ? 

Allen

• Upvote 1