VF5+ Pedal Tilt Changed Abruptly

conartist6

I just submitted a service request for my V5F+. I thought maybe you guys would have some insight as well. Two days ago I was riding the wheel home. My phone rang and I stopped on the sidewalk outside of a bar. As I talked on the phone, I did some one footed circles spinning myself around 8 - 10 times as I balanced with one foot on a pedal and one heel on the ground. The phone call ended, I turned the wheel off and stepped inside the bar, had a beer, and took the wheel back outside, and started riding it away. Within the first 5 - 10 seconds, the pedals were pointing about 10 degrees down! I turned the wheel off, and tried again. Same result. The wheel initially rolls itself perfectly upright, but then slowly adjusts itself until the pedals again point about 10 degrees down. It also now, when held upright in as neutral a position as possible, has a tendency to slowly accelerate forwards.

The strange thing is that first moment I turn it on, it still rolls perfectly to 0 degrees tilt, fully upright. It's only in the next moments that it readjusts to tilt down.

So far no fiddling I tried has changed the behavior. I tried the reset button, no luck. Changing the pedal tilt in the app does change the angle the wheel comes to a rest at, but even with max compensation it's still not correct and I don't want to take my life in my hands by assuming this is fine when something is clearly wrong.

I ran the self diagnostics in the inmotion app, and while they claim every component is working correctly, remarkably little data is exposed, and the "upload blog" button, which appears to copy some files around, doesn't seem to put the resulting files anywhere that I am able to access them.

I tried the android wheellog app to at least see if I could discover the output of the accelerometer, but I was never able to get it to read any data from the V5F+. I tried all the troubleshooting steps I could think of there but nothing worked.

Any tips on potential fixes or how to troubleshoot more effectively?

Welcome @conartist6

You already tried recalibrating the wheel?

The wheel is still in guarantee or you could get support from your reseller? Inmotion/solowheel representatives are also quite active here in the forum.

If recalibration does not work it seems to be a quite unusual behaviour that needs replacement/professionel service. But lets see if some inmotion riders have more knowledge in regard to this...

Jeez, amazingly that was enough to point me in the right direction. A search on recalibration indicates that indeed the wheel can be recalibrated from within the inmotion app by pressing "car body turning and forwarding correction", however it will just say that calibration failed unless the device is sitting on its rear mud guard with the headlight facing up. Source: 

44 minutes ago, conartist6 said:

Jeez, amazingly that was enough to point me in the right direction. A search on recalibration indicates that indeed the wheel can be recalibrated from within the inmotion app by pressing "car body turning and forwarding correction", however it will just say that calibration failed unless the device is sitting on its rear mud guard with the headlight facing up.

That is how you are supposed to do it (as discussed in the link in that thread direct from Inmotion's Blog https://www.inmotionworld.com/blog/what-is-zero-offset-calibration-of-inmotion-unicycle)

Did it make a difference?

Archived