My Inmotion V10F Triumphs, Tribulations, and Failures

Marty Backe

I received my sample V10F tonight from Inmotion (thank you @Jeffrey Scott Will). I have it for a few days and I'm going to try and get some good riding in. Tomorrow (Friday) morning it's heading to my mountain proving grounds. Excited to see how it handles tough hills. Most of my commentary will be in the form of videos that I'll post here.

So far I've only filled the tire (nice valve access) and took it for a short spin down the street. Very favorable first impressions.

The pedals are insanely large (in a good way), and very high. My model has clearly been used, and the pedals have lots of scratches. I'm wondering how the hell they got scratched up because you can take steep/sharp turns on this thing and it doesn't seem possible to me that they can hit the ground :confused1:

The headlamp is impressively bright. I'll test more, but my sense is that the throw isn't quite as far as the new Gotway headlamp, but the V10F headlamp throws a much wider and smoother light. So everything in front of you and to the side is brightly and evenly lit. The Gotway light is more intense but not nearly as pleasant. After I feel more comfortable I'll test it at full speed to see if it provides safe illumination for high-speed night riding. Very nice so far. KingSong needs to up their game here.

One last initial observation: the motor is loud. It certainly doesn't have the annoying high pitched whine of the 84-volt Gotway wheels, Rockwheel, etc. But it's not nearly silent like the Tesla. It's a pleasant sound, but people will certainly hear you coming.

I'm putting feelers out, but does anyone here know where I can get the compatible Android app? The Play Store seems to be a bust :(

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, z3n said:

Thanks. But I'm looking for the one that's compatible with the V10F. I already installed the one that you pointed me to, but it doesn't work with the V10F. It recognizes the wheel and show the speed and battery level, but otherwise it doesn't know anything about the V10.

How bad is the damage?  If I were InMotion I would express ship Marty a set of new foot pedals and side shell covers with pads so he can do an English video demo of how easy it is to replace commonly damaged parts on the V10F.  First impressions are everything, and surely how much can some side shells and pedals cost?  :efefb6a84e:

Test the speakers, Marty!  Test the speakers!  :w00t2:

3 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Thanks. But I'm looking for the one that's compatible with the V10F. I already installed the one that you pointed me to, but it doesn't work with the V10F. It recognizes the wheel and show the speed and battery level, but otherwise it doesn't know anything about the V10.

I'm not sure as I only have iOS instead. But AFAIK their iOS app version is known to be much better developed than the Android one. I have seen for few times that some riders testing V10 showed as V10 tag on their daily ride records on the iOS app though.

5 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

One last initial observation: the motor is loud. It certainly doesn't have the annoying high pitched whine of the 84-volt Gotway wheels, Rockwheel, etc. But it's not nearly silent like the Tesla. It's a pleasant sound, but people will certainly hear you coming.

That's definitely a little bit of a turn-off, one of my favourite things about INmotion (and my old Lhotz) was the relative silence compared to the KS/Gotway crowd.

Otherwise, it looks pretty sexy.

5 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I received my sample V10F tonight from Inmotion (thank you @Jeffrey Scott Will). I have it for a few days and I'm going to try and get some good riding in. Tomorrow (Friday) morning it's heading to my mountain proving grounds. Excited to see how it handles tough hills. Most of my commentary will be in the form of videos that I'll post here.

So far I've only filled the tire (nice valve access) and took it for a short spin down the street. Very favorable first impressions.

The pedals are insanely large (in a good way), and very high. My model has clearly been used, and the pedals have lots of scratches. I'm wondering how the hell they got scratched up because you can take steep/sharp turns on this thing and it doesn't seem possible to me that they can hit the ground :confused1:

The headlamp is impressively bright. I'll test more, but my sense is that the throw isn't quite as far as the new Gotway headlamp, but the V10F headlamp throws a much wider and smoother light. So everything in front of you and to the side is brightly and evenly lit. The Gotway light is more intense but not nearly as pleasant. After I feel more comfortable I'll test it at full speed to see if it provides safe illumination for high-speed night riding. Very nice so far. KingSong needs to up their game here.

I'm putting feelers out, but does anyone here know where I can get the compatible Android app? The Play Store seems to be a bust :(

Excited to hear your findings! I know you enjoy it but thanks for taking the time to do this!

If I recall from other threads about you getting the wheel then you got the one that @Jeffrey Scott Will used on his range test live streams and in those streams he said the wheel he was using was the one that was used to make the promotional video they released on launch which was why it was so beaten up (missing leg pads last time I saw it). In that video the guy does the serious downhill off-roading which had a deep gully and you see the pedal catch the ground as the wheel enters the gully. I'm sure there was more then one take and many falls. That might explain the unusually poor pedal condition.

@Jason McNeil had access to the new app. Maybe he can provide it to you but it was a beta app without full functionality which is why you can't see it in the Play Store. He did say that the older Inmotion app you have found can be used to control the lights and set some other settings though and you may need to download an update APK file after the one from the Play Store is opened.

Don't forget to just show the wheel and its components (close up) in video. Just how everything works and where everything is - handle, pedal pop out, tire valve, all the mundane things that people might want to see.

Other than that, enjoy!

9 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

.The pedals are insanely large (in a good way), and very high. My model has clearly been used, and the pedals have lots of scratches. I'm wondering how the hell they got scratched up because you can take steep/sharp turns on this thing and it doesn't seem possible to me that they can hit the ground :confused1:

When the pedals are painted piano glossy black,  then they are going to have very ugly scratches, even when laying the wheel on the ground. :facepalm:

I wonder why they don't attach like a replaceable thin skateboard sort of skid plate or deck rails underneath the pedals.  I like the look of the piano gloss black, but it's really not that practical in that area.  Maybe a whole underside thin cover plate made of that slippery plastic would be good.

I just completed my 2-hour mountain stress test. I did overheat the wheel on Overheat-Hill and you'll see the consequences of that in the video (Part III I think). Discovered some other interesting attributes.

Not to leave you hanging too much, the V10F is an awesome trail wheel with fantastic amounts of power and maneuverability :thumbup: It did not disappoint me in any consequential way.

Going to try and get a little beach riding in during the afternoon ....

Just now, andrewnyer said:

Was it able to go up that hill that the 14C want able to?

Sorry, you'll have to see the video for full details B) It did not make it up Overheat-Hill in one-go. It did easily climb every other hill.

1 minute ago, z3n said:

But they say NEVER worry about Overheat. :facepalm:

726590215.thumb.jpg.b7ca2126880f994c49a6

To be fair, the hill you see me climb is impressive. No wheel has ever made it up the hill. To Inmotion's credit, the wheel almost made it to the top, and did so faster than any other wheel I've yet tried on that hill.

For mere mortals, I don't think you have to worry about overheating.

20 minutes ago, em1barns said:

Loud motor, but much more tolerable than that of Msuper3 (took me well over a month to get used to that high pitch hell). 

It's 2 different sounds that often get confused.

• The high-pitched whine is the PWM noise from the motor, you know, the ones that all the dogs go crazy for,.... literally. 
  • The actual noise being made by the V10F (as well as other InMotion wheels) is a motor noise, non-PWM (as if it was mechanical gears or something, tho I'm not an EE). The frequency is more of a mid to mid-low, sub-to-1kHz frequency, normal mechanical noise.

IMHO the InMotions, including the new V10F, is whisper quiet, non-existant noise on the PWM front, but not the latter "motor gear" noise. 

I much prefer the latter!, unless I'm in a room full of senior citizens. Then I know they've already lost that part of their hearing and I won't bug the crap out of anyone, ha!

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

To be fair, the hill you see me climb is impressive. No wheel has ever made it up the hill. To Inmotion's credit, the wheel almost made it to the top, and did so faster than any other wheel I've yet tried on that hill.

Didn't the 18S and ACM2 make it? Or was that another hill? Getting confused:confused1: are we talking about the hill where you 14D stopped going? Hill of death that the 18S did (overheating right at the top)?

Archived